Friday, December 25, 2009

First Christmas in Canada

Today was a fantastic Christmas, spent with a bunch of Chinese Canadians, and Chinese food. The host Lao Liu's house and garden were gorgeous too!
In fact these people are REAL Chinese (their kids are not). Talking to them made me feel at home. They shared experience of how to push their kids to learn Chinese. Chinese characters are so damn difficult to learn.. for the poor 'second generation immigrants', we have to say sorry...:(
One buddy is even from Baotou, my city, now working in Singapore. He actually went to my parents' middle school. That's funny. He told me a lot about Singapore, labling it as the 'best society of all Chinese communities'.
I'm grateful for their party, their stories and their being together. Have to say it's so good to be able to live in the Chinese way, in a developed, beautiful, and safe country like Canada. Many strange questions popped up in my mind, like...
- when I have my kids can I get them learn Chinese? will I push them to learn their dad's mother tongue when I know it tortures them?
- when I'm 50, will I still share what I see and think in Chinese, like I'm writing my (other) blog in Chinese now?
- ...

I don't know...
Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my friends!!~~

No comments:

Post a Comment